LWV explains stance on immigration issues
Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:00 AM
The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that immigration policies should promote reunification of immediate families; meet the economic, business and employment needs of the United States; and be responsive to those facing political persecution or humanitarian crises. Provision should also be made for qualified persons to enter the United States on student visas. All persons should receive fair treatment under the law.
The League supports federal immigration law that provides an efficient, expeditious system (with minimal or no backlogs) for legal entry of immigrants into the United States.
To complement these goals the League supports federal policies to improve economies, education, job opportunities and living conditions in nations with large emigrating populations.
In transition to a reformed system, the League supports provisions for unauthorized immigrants already in this country to earn legal status.
The League supports federal payments to impacted communities to address the financial costs borne by states and local governments with large immigrant populations.
The League supports the following criteria for legal admission of persons into the United States:
* Family reunification of spouses or minor children with authorized immigrants or citizens,
* Flight from persecution or response to humanitarian crises in home country,
* Economic, business and employment needs in the United States,
* Education and training needs in the United States,
* Educational program opportunities,
* Lack of a history of serious criminal activity.
The League supports due process for all persons, including the right to a fair hearing, right to counsel, right of appeal and right of humane treatment. The League supports:
* Improved technology to facilitate employer verification of employee status,
* Verification documents, such as status cards and work permits with secure identifiers,
* Significant fines and penalties for employers who hire unauthorized workers,
* Improved technology for sharing information among federal agencies,
* More effective tracking of individuals who enter the United States,
* Increased personnel at borders.
The League also supports programs allowing foreign workers to enter and leave the United States to meet seasonal or sporadic labor needs.
Unauthorized Immigrants Already in the United States:
In achieving overall policy goals, the League supports a system for unauthorized immigrants already in the country to earn legal status, including citizenship, by paying taxes, learning English, studying civics and meeting other relevant criteria. While policy reforms, including a path to legal status, remain unachieved, the League does not support deporting unauthorized immigrants who have no history of criminal activity.
The LWV is nonpartisan and does not support or oppose individual candidates or parties. Open to all men as well as women, the League encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase public understanding of major policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. For information about the LWV, visit the website: www.lwvmc.com or send a message to LWV, PO Box 101, Crawfordsville, IN 47933.