Although Harold Alfred Hanna was born in Monmouth Illinois on August 27, 1893 he only began school there then returned back home again to Montgomery County, so to speak, as not only his parents but grands were all born and raised here.
His father, Edward Everett (mother Alice Parker) was city treasurer in Monmouth, but when they returned, he owned a grocery and also was a mechanic. An only child, Harold aided his father in the store as clerk before entering service.
On Harold’s WWI registration he was described as being heavy set, of medium height and having blue eyes and light hair and living with his parents at 306 High Street in Crawfordsville. This home Harold would keep for a couple of decades himself, as his parents passed in 1925 and 1928.
A bit more detail attached to his WWII registration in regards to his height (5’8”) and weight (195#) plus the notation that he was gassed in WWI made the comparison of the two drafts worthwhile.
Harold mainly worked for the Electric Light & Power but also did mechanical work prior to becoming employed with the Electric Company. He and his wife moved to 802 Lane Avenue and their daughter and her husband moved into 306 High, home of her grandparents and parents.
The wife, Mary “Grace” Farquin, had a sad life. She married Albert Coons in 1914 and happy they were having had a beautiful daughter, Mary Cecilia, born two years after their marriage. Then, the influenza. Although Albert survived the disease, he was never well afterwards, going to Colorado to try to get some relief for breathing. He had been there but a half a day when he passed away June 15, 1919. Just five short years with his dear wife. Albert is buried at Calvary Cemetery and when Grace died her daughters buried her there, as well.
Grace then married Harold 12-21-1921 and they were the parents of Grace’s second daughter, Betty, who was born at 4:15 in the afternoon on June 16, 1922 when Harold was 29 and Grace 25. She would later marry Lt. Harry Britton, WWII 44th Infantry. They too had a very short marriage when he died in a freak tornado of a fractured skull and crushed chest while he was working in Coatesville as a meat salesman who got caught in the torrential winds. Betty and Harry had two small children, Harry named for his father and Cecelia, named for her half sister. Betty would marry again to Donald Lang. Betty’s sister, Mary Cecelia married a Hammer and moved out west, dying in Nevada in October of 1989.
During WWI, Harold served in Germany and France and passed away December 8th, in 1952 of a heart attack. He is buried in Oak Hill, Grant Avenue, resting without a grave marker for 56 years. Now, thanks to Kim Hancock and Suzi Petrey, his information is now, Etched In Stone!
Over the coming weeks and months I will write these columns highlighting each new stone. Karen Zach is the editor of Montgomery Memories, our monthly magazine all about Montgomery County. And she writes Around the County, which appears each Thursday in The Paper of Montgomery County. One by One: Etched in Stone is her latest offering and will appear periodically on Mondays in The Paper.