LIZTON —North Montgomery scored almost as quickly as they stepped off the bus, Tuesday, but needed overtime to eliminate Greencastle from tournament play, 2-1, in girls’ soccer Sec-tional 44 second round action.
Katie Lewis jammed a centering pass from Kinsey Humphrey past her defender and Tiger Cubs’ goalie Claire Gillen just 40 seconds into contest, then the two switched roles in the first overtime session to settle the win.
North Montgomery advances to play Western Boone in the sectional semi-final match.
For Chargers head coach, Julie Hodges, the outcome rested on the shoulders of the defense.
“It was a very good game for us,” said Hodges. “Defense played amazing! Their only goal came off a corner kick that we couldn’t get clear. Their No. 2. (Thomas) had more than 20 goals on the season. I’m very, very proud of how our defense played.”
The Chargers (7-7-2) forced the action most of the first half, and found ample early opportunities to penetrate the Tiger Cubs’ defense. It was something that pleased coach Hodges, because they worked on ways of attacking Greencastle in practice all week.
“Greencastle plays a flat-back-four defense,” explained Hodges, “and the last time we couldn’t get a ball through it. We didn’t get a single shot inside the 18 [yard line]. We really practiced hard on the flat-back-four, and 40 seconds into the game we get a cross, and Katie puts it away. This time were able to break their defense down, and get shots on goal.”
Dominating play in the first stanza, North Montgomery came out of halftime a bit flat-footed, allowing the Tiger Cubs to control the second period. Greencastle (6-8-0) tied the game at 1-1 on freshman Kaitlyn Dibble’s drive at 29:44 off of a corner kick from Corinne Buchanan.
The two teams battled the last half of period two even, with most of the action in the Chargers’ defensive end. Goal Keeper Regina Dodds turned away four shots in the second, under pressure when the Chargers had trouble flipping the field into a stiff breeze.
Time again, the Chargers defense rose to the quiet the Greencastle attacks.
“Especially with the wind against us in the second half,” said Hodges, “the girls stepped up and at least challenged. That was big to challenge on those deep 50-50’s.”
The Chargers found renewed energy in the first 7-minute overtime, and finally found the net when Lewis chased down a sideline pass, and found Humphreys, who drilled home the winning goal.
In the second overtime period, North Montgomery out-hustled the tired Tiger Cubs, and essen-tially played keep-away for the last four minutes of the extra period, running out the clock to preserve the win.
Scoring by Periods
Period P1 P2 OT1 OT2 Total
North Montgomery 1 0 1 0 2
Greencastle 0 1 0 0 1
Period One
39:19 North Montgomery 1-0
Katie Lewis (Kinsey Humphreys Assist)
Period Two
29:44 Greencastle 1-1
Kaitlyn Dibble (Corinne Buchanan Assist)
Overtime One
4:48 North Montgomery 2-1
Kinsey Humphreys (Lewis Assist)
Overtime Two
Shots on Goal
North Montgomery 5-1-2-0, 8, Greencastle 2-3-1-0, 8
Regina Dodds (North Montgomery) 2-4-1-0, 7; Claire Gillen (Greencastle) 4-1-1-0, 6