The last school building and gym in 1968
The last school building and gym in 1968
In 1957, New Market entered the building that would serve the Purple Flyers until consolidation in 1971. They dedicated the building on November 5, 1957, before approximately 1400 spectators. They celebrated the occasion by beating Waveland 36-35. That team went on to win New Market’s fifth County Championship again defeating Waveland in the final game.
John Lytle was the leading scorer on the County Champs that year as he netted 369 points in 22 games for an average of 16.8 ppg. Lytle would finish with 620 points in his 46 game career. The other players were Fred Deck, Ralph Jarvis, John Sayler, Ed Stephens, Bob Swank, Mike Hockersmith, Jack Howard, John Keller, Vaughn Poynter, J. T. Stickler, and Dennis Wray.
The New Market Purple Flyers beat the Darlington Indians on January 10, 1958. Ed Stephens provided an interesting note when he shared the fact that the New Market cheerleaders were the only group to literally lose the keg. (His future wife, Patsy, was one of the cheerleaders) After winning the keg in the afternoon game of the County tourney, the NM cheerleaders decided to go to the Gin-Jer-Boo to celebrate. They went inside to eat and forgot to lock the keg in their car. When they came out, you guessed it, the keg was gone. Some kind souls returned it in time for championship game and the Flyers retained it until they really lost it to an up-and-coming New Ross “dynasty” on February 7.
More next week.